Brave conversations with UN Policy Director, Dr Purna Sen, on the journey to ending sex discrimination and gender inequality.
At this year’s Standard Bank Top Women Conference, Dr Purna Sen, UN Policy Director, spoke about discrimination, gender inequality and the structural changes that need to happen in order to end gender based violence (GBV). Some of the highlights of this important conversation include:
- COVID-19 has been a period of contemplation full of potential for re-energising and re-directing the work we do.
- How can we build a world that works for women?
- #Metoo is a spontaneous global uprising against sexual violence – with 25 million impressions on Twitter over a 2-year period.
- Sexual harassment, violence and abuse are all forms of inequality.
- Ending GBV is about changing how we think.
Purna Sen is Director of Policy at UN Women where she is responsible for direction, leadership and management of the Policy Division as well as the UN Women Training Centre. She has over 30 years’ experience in capacity building, service delivery and evaluation review, teaching, advocacy and research publishing.