To say Bob Moesta is a remarkable human being is a gross understatement. Not many among us can say they literally spoke a book into existence – Bob can. Having had a key role in 3 500 products being developed and brought to the world it would be an understatement to say that his knowledge could fill countless books.
A speaker at the upcoming Africa Tech Week conference, Bob is one of the pioneers of the Jobs-to-be-Done theory and the author of Demand-Side Sales 101: Stop Selling and Help Your Customers Make Progress.
In the latest Business Unusual Podcast, Ralf Fletcher, CEO of Topco Media engages in conversation with Bob Moesta about how to get people to buy your products.
Key takeaways to listen out for in this podcast:
- Find out what you don’t know – you might not know you don’t know it
- Most people can’t tell you what they want – but they can tell you want they don’t want
- Don’t focus on your top 5 strengths – focus on your bottom 5
- Big picture thinking and execution are rare in the same person. You need to work with people who are good at what you’re bad at
- Before you can better understand your customers you need to better understand yourself
- If you want a better quality product, you have to stop inspecting it
- Remember the dominoes principle – the smallest domino can topple the biggest
- It’s okay to have to two answers
- “The irrational becomes rational with context”
- You can’t learn without being wrong
Bob Moesta is the President and CEO of the Re-Wired Group. A trained engineer and designer, the multiple degree holder is an entrepreneur who has worked in every industry you can imagine. Bob developed the Jobs-to-be-Done theory with Clayton Christensen in the 1990s and has since gone on to solve various problems using their ideas on innovation. He is a guest lecturer at Harvard Business School, MIT Sloan School of Entrepreneurship, Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and a fellow at the Clayton Christensen Institute.
Hear more from Bob at Africa Tech Week